At Sub24, when we say that our products are “pH balanced,” it is not just a marketing ploy it is a very important fact.
Your skin, being your largest organ, has a natural ability to fight nasty infections and to protect your skin from harsh environmental pollutants. In order to do this, your skin has cleverly designed a natural barrier called the acid mantle. The acid mantle is made up of sebum (the natural oils that your body produces) and perspiration. These help to keep moisture in, and keep bacteria, toxins and germs out. It is very important that this layer is protected otherwise infections, sensitivity, pimples etc. can occur.
For the acid mantle to function correctly and protect your skin, it needs to be slightly acidic, at a pH of 5-5.5. The pH spectrum runs from 1 (highly acidic) through to 7 being (neutral) and up to 14 (highly alkaline).
If your acid mantle does not sit at this pH level and becomes too alkaline or acidic (which can happen when you use harsh chemicals), you may experience dryness, eczema or sensitivity, hence why you need a skincare range that is pH balanced and natural like Sub24.
Here are our top five tips for protecting your acid mantle and the acidity of your skin:
1. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains and good oils such as olive oil, remembering that your body is a system so what you put inside it will affect the way you look on the outside.
2. External factors such as the sun, smoking and air pollution can negatively affect your acid mantle, so limit your exposure to these.
3. As you age, your skin naturally changes because you produce less sebum and you have had more exposure to external, environmental factors. Young skin has different needs than older skin so it is important to choose age appropriate skincare. Sub24 has been designed for younger skin and is pH balanced.
4. Excessive, abrasive cleaning of the skin will alter your acid mantle, especially if you are scrubbing with chemical products, often making it too alkaline. Therefore, exfoliating once or twice a week with Sub24 face scrub is perfect as it is not harsh and is pH balanced.
5. Using skincare that is unnatural or not pH balanced will negatively affect your acid mantle, often making it too alkaline. Therefore, avoid chemical products and use natural products like Sub24. Your skin will thank you for it!
As you can see, keeping your diet and skincare clean, simple and pH balanced will get you well on your way to flawless skin.
Remember, at Sub24: “Beauty is being the best possible version of yourself on the inside and out.”